Sunday, April 21, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge: Jurassic Park


“Jurassic Park” was a movie that heavily influenced me as a young adult. I know you're supposed to be influenced by something more 'deep' like “Citizen Kane” or generational like “Easy Rider” and “The Breakfast Club,” but for me, it was “Jurassic Park.” I guess it just came along at the point in my life when I was looking for something.

That's what makes “Jurassic Park” so magnificent in a less-than-dinosaur-sized obvious way. Each character in that movie really has a personal quest – whether it's to find understanding in a parent's divorce or to achieve validation of a scientific theory.


“Jurassic Park” was also the first movie with truly believable CGI (computer generated images). I was truly able to suspend my disbelief enough to buy the story. Additionally, it's one of the only movies that is actually better than the book.

As a fan of the female scientist archetype, I'm also impressed by Laura Dern's performance every time I see the movie. At this point in my life, I especially appreciate the career-oriented Dr. Ellie Sattler – she wants to continue to pursue paleobotany, but she'd like to settle down, too.

To me, “Jurassic Park” will always remind of summer and science; it was the first movie I went to see in the theaters multiple times, and I look forward to seeing it again in 3-D soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment